Auction: 18006 - Ancient, Indian and Islamic, British and Foreign Coins and Commemorative Medals
Removal of Temple Bar, 1878, uniface lead medal, by C. H. & J. Mabey for Foot and Tebay on behalf of the Corporation of London, Eastern facade of Temple Bar, ribbon inscribed
Temple Bar was the primary ceremonial entrance into the City of London from the City of Westminster during the Middle Ages, situated between the important Royal lodgings at the Palace of Westminster and the Tower of London. As horse-and-cart traffic steadily increased over the centuries, complaints were made about the historic gateway simply beoming a bottleneck for traders and the public alike. Consequently, beginning 2 January 1878, it was resolved that the structure should be dismantled, but in such a way that every brick, post and beam was systematically numbered for offsite storage. The materials were subsequently purchased by Sir Henry Meux, owner of the Horse Shoe Brewery, a site made infamous by the London Beer Flood disaster of 1814. He re-erected the entrance on his Hertfordshire estate at Theobald Park, where it would stand until 2003, whereupon it was once again systematically dismantled for return to the City. It is now situated north of St Paul's Cathedral as the entrance to Paternoster Square.
Subject to 20% VAT on Buyer’s Premium. For more information please view Terms and Conditions for Buyers.